Saturday, January 13, 2018

Making Offers

How to make offers in English?

It is common that English speakers make offers in conversations in order to be polite and helpful. When they do so they use these expressions:

Can I… ?
Shall I… ?
Would you like … ?
How about ...?
English learner must be able to make offers as well as accept or reject them. The following are useful expressions to do so.

Making offers:

Can
I
help you?
Shall
get you some juice?
Would you like
a glass of water ?
How about
some pizza?

Examples:

  • "Can I help you?"
  • "Shall I open the window for you?"
  • "Would you like another cup of coffee?"
  • "Would you like me to clean the board?"
  • "How about a juice? "

Remember:

  • Shall, can and will are followed by the verb without to. 
    Example:
    "Can I help you?"
    "Shall I bring you the mobile phone?
  • Shall is more formal than can.
  • Would you like… is followed either by a noun, or by the verb with to.
    Example:
    "Would you like some tea ?"
    "Would you like to drink some coffee?

Responding to offers

Accepting
Declining
Yes please. I'd like to.
That would be very kind of you.
Yes please, that would be lovely.
Yes please, I'd love to.
If you wouldn't mind.
If you could.
Thank you, that would be great.
It's OK, I can do it myself.
Don't worry, I'll do it.
No, thanks
No, thank you

Examples:

  • "Can I help you?"
    "No thanks, I'm just having a look." (With a shop assistant.)

  • "Can I help you?"
    "Do you know where the post office is."

  • "Shall I help you with your maths problem?"
    "Yes, please. That would be very nice of you."

  • "Would you like a cup of tea?"
    "No thanks." Or, "No thank you."

  • "Would you like another piece of cake?"
    "Yes please, that would be nice ."
    "Yes please, I'd love one."

  • "Would you like me to do the the ironing for you?"
    "If you wouldn't mind." 
    "If you could." 

  • "I'll do the washing, if you like."
    "It's OK, I can do it." 
    "Don't worry, I'll do it."
    "Thank you, that would be great."

No comments:

Post a Comment