Friday, September 9, 2016

WHETHER - IF

When to use 'whether' and 'if' in English.



'Whether' and 'if' are used as follows : 
  • To express alternatives :
    • I don't know whether/if I'll go to the party on Saturday (or not).
  • To report a question :
    • Are you going to the party?
      - She asked me whether/if I was going to the party (or not).
  • Only whether can be used in the following cases:

    • When followed by an infinitive :
      • I don't know whether to go to the party or not.
    • After prepositions :
      • It depends on whether I get home early or not.
    • When whether begins a clause which is the subject of a sentence.
      • Whether I go to the party or to the cinema makes no difference to me.
    • When followed directly by 'or not'
      • I'll be happy whether or not I go to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment